Man suffers severe allergic reaction after girlfriend persuades him to dye beard

On a quiet afternoon in May, Marno Botha and his girlfriend Caitlynn Van Hecke decided to have some fun by dying his blonde beard black.

But it all went wrong and Marno, 21, suffered a severe allergic reaction as well as a chemical burn, turning his face bright red everywhere the product had been applied.

His chin, cheeks and upper lip became extremely swollen and Marno had to take antihistamines for a month before his face returned to normal.

It was Caitlynn, 21, who initially suggested the makeover on 16 May, and Marno agreed, totally forgetting an allergic reaction to henna dye that had happened when he was younger.

Marno said: ‘We just thought it would be fun and I could always shave the beard off – little did we know this would happen!’

But at 3am, Marno from Vanderbijlpark, South Africa, woke up with this intense itching on his face and decided to shave.

He said: ‘I noticed my face had extremely red marks where the hair dye had been applied to my beard and then it started to swell up.

‘I could barely move my face and the itching got worse so I went to the doctor who said I’d had an allergic reaction to the hair dye.

‘I’d also suffered a chemical burn from leaving the hair dye on my face for too long.’

Luckily the reaction has now healed but it took months for the redness to go away.

Marno said: ‘Caitlynn felt really bad about how it all turned out and took extra good care of me.

‘It took almost two months for my face to get back to normal – luckily we had to wear masks everywhere so that helped a lot!

‘My face was sensitive for weeks and the intense itchiness drove me crazy. I was embarrassed to go out in public but I tried to look at the funny side of it!’

Do you have a story to tell?

Get in touch at [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article