Kay Burley responds to viewer over Sky News return four months into suspension
Kay Burley taken off air for six months confirms Sky News
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Broadcaster and former Sky News regular, Kay Burley, 60, has taken to social media to reveal she might be returning to the channel. The journalist was immediately suspended in December 2020, following a breach of coronavirus lockdown guidelines.
The veteran broadcaster was suspended for six months after it emerged that she had breached the lockdown rules that were in place around the time of her 60th birthday in the same month.
Mum-of-one Kay was seen to be in breach of rules when she celebrated the milestone with a group of ten people at a London restaurant.
At the time, guidelines implemented by Boris Johnson stated that groups of six could meet at one time.
Bosses at the corporation are said to have given Kay a six-month suspension, which means her return to the channel is expected in a matter of weeks.
Taking to Twitter, one fan of the broadcaster asked: “When is Kay back, anyone know?”
Responding to her follower, Kay said: “I do.”
Kay recently denied speculation that she was set to officially depart Sky News and make the move to GB News alongside Andrew Neil.
Earlier this month she changed her social profiles to remove all mention of Sky News, this was despite her Twitter bio previously saying she was: “The longest serving anchor on Sky.”
Her new social media bio reads: “More live TV than anyone else, yes, really. Animal lover. Mountain climber. Impossibly proud mum.”
After one follower questioned whether she was quitting Sky News in favour of GB News, she responded: “No.”
Shortly after her outing, Sky News said: “A small number of Sky News staff attended a social event in London on Saturday evening during which Covid-19 guidelines were breached.”
They went on to add: “As a result of an internal review Sky News presenter Kay Burley has agreed to be off the air for six months, and political editor Beth Rigby and correspondent Inzamam Rashid have agreed to be off the air for three months.
Tom Jones shares health update: ‘That’s all the medication I take’ [INSIGHT]
Edith Bowman: BAFTAs 2021 host divides viewers with busty dress [REACTION]
Coleen Nolan fears ‘court’ over identity of ‘diva’ celebrity [UPDATE]
“All those involved regret the incident and have apologised.
“Everyone at Sky News is expected to comply with the rules and the company takes breaches like this very seriously indeed.”
Kay went on to add: “I have today agreed with Sky News to step back from my broadcasting role for a period of reflection.
“It’s clear to me that we are all in the fight against Covid-19 and that we all have a duty to stick firmly by the rules.
“It doesn’t matter that I thought I was Covid-compliant on a recent social event. The fact is I was wrong, I made a big mistake, and I am sorry.
“Some dear friends and colleagues – some of the most talented and committed professionals in our business – have been pulled into this episode and I regret this enormously.”
The Wigan born reporter continued: “I was one of the founding presenters on Sky News. No one is prouder of our channel’s reputation, the professionals on our team, and the impact we make.
“I very much look forward to being able to continue my 32-year career with Sky when I return.”
In view of her Twitter followers, Kay addressed the evening which included colleagues Beth Rigby, Sam Washington and Inzamam Rashid gathering at Soho’s Century Club.
She said: “I want to apologise to you all for an error of judgement.
“On Saturday night I was enjoying my 60th birthday at a Covid compliant restaurant. I am embarrassed to say that later in the evening I inadvertently broke the rules. I had been waiting for a taxi at 11pm to get home.
“Desperate for the loo I briefly popped into another restaurant to spend a penny. I can only apologise.”
Source: Read Full Article