Meghan and Harry Just Cut Off Four British Tabloids in a Powerful Letter
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are officially done with life as publicly-funded working royals. And they're also saying goodbye to four popular British tabloids—the Daily Mail, the Daily Mirror, Express, and The Sun—which they and their communications team will no longer engage with going forward.
Representatives for the couple sent a powerfully worded letter to the papers on Sunday (April 19) evening saying "there will be no corroboration and zero engagement" between the opposing parties anymore.
"Like you, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex believe that a free press is a cornerstone to any democracy— particularly in moments of crisis," the letter reads. "At its best, this free press shines light on dark places, telling stories that would otherwise go untold, standing up for what’s right, challenging power, and holding those who abuse the system to account. It has been said that journalism’s first obligation is to the truth. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex agree wholeheartedly."
Cutting off these outlets seems to be in line with comments about the press Markle made last year in a documentary. "I never thought that this would be easy, but I thought it would be fair and that's the part that's really hard to reconcile," she said.
The letter continues, "It is gravely concerning that an influential slice of the media, over many years, has sought to insulate themselves from taking accountability for what they say or print—even when they know it to be distorted, false, or invasive beyond reason. When power is enjoyed without responsibility, the trust we all place in this much-needed industry is degraded. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have watched people they know—as well as complete strangers—have their lives completely pulled apart for no good reason, other than the fact that salacious gossip boosts advertising revenue."
It goes on, "This policy is not about avoiding criticism. It’s not about shutting down public conversation or censoring accurate reporting. Media have every right to report on and indeed have an opinion on The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, good or bad. But it can’t be based on a lie."
The Sussexes state clearly this "is not a blanket policy for all media." It appears they just want to shut down access to the four outlets they feel have been the most unfair in their coverage.
The letter closes with, "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are looking forward to working with journalists and media organizations all over the world, engaging with grassroots media, regional and local media, and young, up-and-coming journalists, to spotlight issues and causes that so desperately need acknowledging. And they look forward to doing whatever they can to help further opportunities for more diverse and underrepresented voices, who are needed now more than ever."
View this post on Instagram
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA
This certainly isn't the first time Meghan Markle and (Prince) Harry have come out swinging at the tabloid press in the U.K. They had already filed lawsuits against the Mail on Sunday for the publication of a letter written by Markle to her estranged father, and The Sun and the Daily Mirror over a phone hacking.
Source: Read Full Article