Strictly EXC: Show bosses 'DENY celebrities turned down show over fee'
EXCLUSIVE: Strictly Come Dancing bosses hit back at claims big-name stars like Michelle Keegan and Jessie J have turned down the show over low £60,000 appearance fee’
Strictly Come Dancing bosses have denied celebrities such as Michelle Keegan and Jessie J declined to be on the show because of the ‘low’ £60,000 appearance fee.
Speaking exclusively to MailOnline on Wednesday, a Strictly source has contested reports that several celebrities had turned them down and said only those who have signed onto the show were offered a fee.
The source explained: ‘Everyone we have offered a fee to this year have been confirmed as part of the line up, so nobody has declined appearing in the show after we’ve begun negotiations.’
Strictly EXCLUSIVE: Show bosses have ‘denied celebrities like Michelle Keegan and Jessie J (pictured in January) turned down show over low £60,000 appearance fee’ on Wednesday
Referring specifically to the suggestion that they approached the Our Girl star to appear on the show, the source added: ‘Michelle Keegan has never been in talks with us, so she hasn’t declined any fee.’
The Sun claimed as well as stars like Michelle and Jessie, actresses Gillian Anderson and Tamzin Outhwaite were approached to take part in the show, but had declined.
MailOnline has contacted Michelle, Jessie, Gillian and Tamzin’s representatives for comment.
According to the publication the stars’ agents believe they will benefit from being a part of other shows like I’m A Celebrity, as it will give them a more promising post-show career.
Denial: Referring to the claim they approached the Our Girl star (pictured), the source clarified: ‘Michelle Keegan has never been in talks with us, so she hasn’t declined any fee’
Not true: The source added, ‘Everyone we have offered a fee to this year have been confirmed as part of the line up’ (pictured, Gillian Anderson who is said to have been approached to join)
They also suggested that appearing on Strictly amongst ‘c-list’ celebrities like YouTube star Saffron Barker was allegedly not seen as beneficial.
A source speaking to The Sun claimed: ‘There’s a new curse of Strictly — they don’t pay and appearing will do nothing for your career.
‘It’s not just the chance of you waltzing off with your partner, now the cash is poor and you waltz off into obscurity. No one wants to do it.’
While the source added that 2019 winner Kelvin Fletcher had nothing to show after his win, and suggested that meant an appearance was ‘not worth it for the cash.’
Rival show: Agents were said to believe stars would benefit from being a part of other shows like I’m A Celebrity (pictured Tamzin Outhwaite, who allegedly was approached to join)
Current winner: It was claimed Kelvin Fletcher hasn’t had a successful post-show career, but sources speaking to MailOnline said it was ‘unfair’ to say so because of the COVID-19 crisis
Strictly bosses speaking to MailOnline claimed it was ‘unfair’ to suggest Kelvin hadn’t benefited from being on the show, as he ‘did the Strictly tour in January then lockdown largely shut down the entertainment industry from March.’
While contesting the remark against stars like Saffron, the source added that she had 2.46 million YouTube followers whereas Jack Maynard, who appeared on 2017’s I’m A Celebrity, only had 1.53 million.
This comes following reports that Strictly pros will leave their families to enter lockdown for six weeks ahead of the show’s return to ensure they are safe for filming.
Star: It was also claimed appearing with celebrities like YouTube star Saffron Barker was not beneficial, but sources pointed out she had more followers than I’m A Celeb’s Jack Maynard
Precautions: Earlier this month it was reported that Strictly pros could be holed up in a hotel for up to six weeks to pre-film some of the dance routines (above the 2019 cast)
Bosses are thought to be introducing strict new measures to ensure the series will go ahead this autumn, thought it’s thought the show won’t air until the autumn.
The dancers and the show’s crew will reportedly be holed up at a London hotel for four weeks from next month, getting bussed to the BBC’s studios in Elstree, Hertfordshire, to film their routines.
According to The Sun, they will then isolate at home for a further two weeks before meeting up with their celebrity dance partners.
The source added: ‘The lockdown only affects people that need to be within two metres of each other. They’ll be constantly tested — that goes without saying.’
Strictly 2020 will run for nine weeks instead of its usual 13 and won’t start until the end of October amid the COVID-19 crisis, according to reports.
BBC Director of Content Charlotte Moore has also revealed producers are still assessing contingency plans such as enforcing a face mask rule, dancing two metres apart and even quarantining celebrities and professional dancers.
Charlotte told The Times: ‘We’re looking at how that would work. Could you quarantine people? Can we test everyone before filming? There’s a lot of work being done. It’s a big task.’
She also said fans could see the show go on-air without a live audience, with the BBC also looking into testing participants’ temperatures and installing glass divides inside the studio ‘so that people feel even more protected.’
Questions: BBC Director of Content Charlotte Moore has also revealed producers are still assessing contingency plans, and may film the new series without a live audience
Source: Read Full Article