Daniel Dubois vs Joe Joyce clash pushed back a month to November in bid to fill O2 Arena with fans
DANIEL DUBOIS' heavyweight clash with Joe Joyce is set to be delayed until mid-November.
Promoter Frank Warren had initially eyed October 24 for the Battle of Britain spectacular.
But talks with Government officials have indicated a date in November would be more suitable for allowing fans into the O2 Arena.
November 14 and 21 are the new dates being considered as trials to allow fans back into sporting events continue.
Test events to reintroduce spectators have included cricket, football and rugby matches with boxing so far reduced to behind closed doors.
Matchroom even resorted to staging Dillian Whyte's fight with Alexander Povetkin in the garden of Eddie Hearn's HQ.
Warren this week pointed towards an October date for Dubois versus Joyce but SunSport understands the situation is changing quickly.
The Queensberry promoter, 68, said: "Lockdown has meant a delay, but we all want the fight to take place in October and we are hopeful that the government will give us the all-clear.
"What a position the winner will be in. They will be nailed on for a world title shot in 2021."
Given the delay, prodigal talent Dubois, 22, and former Olympic medallist Joyce, 34, have each taken part in warm-up fights.
Dutchman Ricardo Snijders was dispatched with ease by the younger of the pair last month.
In July, Joyce secured an early knockout of his own in the defeat of Michael Wallisch.
It is clear Dubois has his sights set on heavyweight boxing's grandees – should he get past Joyce.
Whyte's surprise defeat to Povetkin, coupled with Anthony Joshua's increased vulnerability, has boosted the Greenwich fighter's confidence.
He told SunSport last month: "Seeing older targets and potential opponents lose – in very good and hard fights – only makes me more confident I can take over soon."
Source: Read Full Article