Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Were 'Hoping for an Apology' From the Royal Family After Oprah Interview, Royal Author Says

Things may not have gone as planned for Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex after their March 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey. A royal author says the couple expected to receive an apology from the British royal family following their candid conversation with Winfrey. 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made multiple claims against the royal family

Oprah with Harry and Meghan: A CBS Primetime Special aired in the U.S. on March 7, 2021. Millions of people tuned in to watch the program and hear why the Duke and Duchess of Sussex decided to step down as senior royals a year earlier. It was said to be the reason for the Oprah interview. They wanted to explain their story. 

Harry and Meghan explained the last few years of their lives during the two-and-a-half-hour TV special. In doing so they made accusations against the royal family. 

Meghan told Oprah it was Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge who made her cry over flower girl dresses, not the reverse as had been reported by the press after her 2018 royal wedding to Harry. 

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex went on to claim an unnamed royal made racist comments about their now 2-year-old son, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, prior to his birth. They also said they weren’t offered a title for Archie and, as a result, no security detail for the young royal. Finally, Meghan said she had suicidal thoughts and the institution denied her request for help. 

Royal author says they were expecting an apology from the British royal family after the Oprah interview

Were Harry and Meghan expecting the royal family to say sorry after their Oprah interview aired? Per DailyMail.com, royal author Tom Quinn thinks that was the case. 

“I think they were hoping for an apology, they were hoping they would phone and say, ‘We’re sorry we push you too far, we should have sat you down and spoke about your mental health issue,’” he said in the U.K.’s Channel 5 documentary, Meghan at 40: The Climb to Power.

“I think she [Meghan] was horrified that the reaction was so negative from the family and they didn’t respond in the way she wanted,” he added. “Meghan thought when she entered the royal family she could shake things up and they would love it, they would do things Meghan’s way. And when that didn’t happen, and when she came up against what she sees as the forces of reaction, it made us so upset.”

The author added that the interview was, in his opinion, Meghan’s way of seeking “revenge.” 

The royal family responded with a brief statement 2 days after the interview aired in the U.S.

Meghan and Harry didn’t get a public apology from the royal family. Queen Elizabeth II delayed any response until March 9, 2021. She issued a brief statement, 61 words total, as the royal family’s response to the Oprah interview:

The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan. The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.

Harry’s brother, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge also responded publicly, saying the royal family isn’t “racist.” Nearly five months after the interview aired have Meghan and Harry received an apology? Privately maybe but definitely not publicly.

Now it’s Harry’s forthcoming memoir that could be a source of ongoing tension between the Sussexes and the rest of the royal family. The 36-year-old’s set to release an “accurate and wholly truthful” account of his life in 2022. 

How to get help: In the U.S., call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Or text HOME to 741-741 to speak with a trained crisis counselor at the free Crisis Text Line.

Source: Read Full Article