Scott Bessant dead aged 37: Welsh rugby league star suffered horror accident three years ago and was unable to walk – The Sun

WELSH rugby league star Scott Bessant has died nearly three years after suffering life-changing injuries.

The dad of two, 37, died early on Thursday morning after complications with pneumonia.

The former Wales Dragonhearts full-back was found seriously hurt near a bridge in August 2017.

A tribute on the Wales Rugby League website read: "For over 950 days, Scott’s parents, Howard and Jackie, didn’t missed a day in visiting their son, until everything went on lockdown.

"Scott was due to eventually live with his sister Rachael, whose home was in the process of being adapted for his complex needs.

"There was an initial scare in April when it was thought Scott had contracted COVID-19 but last week, he went down with pneumonia and sadly lost his battle on the morning of Thursday 25th June."

The incident left Mr Bessant with multiple fractures to his skull, a fractured neck, broken ribs and a fractured pelvis.

He also had multiple strokes.

Mr Bessant was drinking in the Little Crown pub, Abersychan, the night before he was found by a passerby next to a bridge in nearby Pentwyn Lane.

Due to the coronavirus crisis his family and two children have been unable to see him.

Brother-in-law Neil Chere previously told WalesOnline: “We think he walked up the old line [a disused railway line] but as of yet because nobody has been able to confirm that we’re not sure.

“That was on his way home. It could take you about an hour to get to where he was.

“From the time he left the pub until 5am in the morning we don’t know where he was.

“All we know is that at 5am a member of the public who was going to work found him.”

Pontypool-born Mr Bessant was a keen rugby player from childhood, starting in rugby union and playing for Pill Harriers and then Pontypool.

In 2008 he won the first of six Wales Dragonhearts – an amateur international team – caps.

He was top try scorer for Newport in 2009 and earned a trial for Super League side Celtic Crusaders, but was unable to attend after contracting salmonella.

He later played for Torfaen Tigers before coaching – taking charge of Newport and Torfaen.

A statement on the Wales Rugby League website said: "Everyone at Wales Rugby League sends their sincere condolences to Scott’s family and his multitude of friends."

More Follows…

Source: Read Full Article