UFC heavyweight title clash between Francis Ngannou and Derrick Lewis pencilled in for September
FRANCIS NGANNOU looks set to defend his UFC heavyweight title against Derrick Lewis in September.
The 34-year-old became the champion back in March when he beat Stipe Miocic by second round knockout.
And now his first defence is expected to come against 36-year-old Lewis who is currently on a four fight winning streak and beat Ngannou three years ago.
Speaking about the bout, MMA journalist Ariel Helwani tweeted: "UFC hoped to book Francis Ngannou x Derrick Lewis 2 for Aug. 7 but that is currently looking like a long shot at this point, sources say. Scheduling conflicts.
"Nothing finalised at the moment but September is now a new target, I’m told."
Lewis last fought for the heavyweight title at UFC 230 in 2018 when he was beaten by the legendary Daniel Cormier.
Meanwhile, Ngannou has not lost since he faced Lewis at UFC 226 in July 2018 when he lost by decision.
Ngannou has been consistently linked with a fight against rival Jon Jones ever since he won the heavyweight title.
Immediately after the Cameroonian's win over Miocic, Jones tweeted: 'Let's play baby."
Later on he then added: "Show me the money."
BETTING SPECIAL: GET RONALDO OR MBAPPE TO HAVE A SHOT ON TARGET AT 30/1
But UFC boss Dana White warned Jones against a fight with Ngannou earlier this year.
He said: “If I’m Jon Jones and I’m at home watching this fight, I’m moving down to 185.”
Jones, who has not fought since successfully defending his UFC light-heavyweight title against Dominick Reyes in February 2020, holds a professional record of 26 wins and one defeat.
The 33-year-old American is widely regarded as one of the greatest fighters in UFC history.
Source: Read Full Article