Thug jailed for killing Garry Newlove has impending release blocked

Thug, 28, jailed for killing brave father-of-three Garry Newlove could face months longer in a tougher prison as Justice Secretary Robert Buckland blocks his move to an open jail

  • Jordan Cunliffe, 28, was expecting to be released from closed prison this year
  • He was 16 when he murdered father of three Garry Newlove, 47, back in 2007
  • Cunliffe was sentenced to 12 years in prison alongside two other youths
  • He even hosted a prison party in his cell to celebrate his impending release
  • But Justice Secretary has blocked his move to more open surroundings 

One of Garry Newlove’s killers could face an extended spell in prison after his impending release from a closed prison was blocked. 

Jordan Cunliffe, 28, was sentenced to 12 years in prison in January 2008 after he attacked father-of-three Mr Newlove, 47, with two other boys outside the father of the three’s home in Warrington.

Following recommendations from a Parole Board, Cunliffe was expecting to move to an open prison soon and even hosted a drunken party in his cell to celebrate his upcoming freedom.

Jordan Cunliffe, 28, (pictured) could face an extended spell in a closed prison after his impending release was blocked 

Cunliffe was 16-year-old when he murdered father of three Garry Newlove (pictured), 47, alongside two other teenagers back in 2007

But Justice Secretary Robert Buckland declared there was not a ‘wholly acceptable rationale’ for this move and Cunliffe will remain in a ‘closed’ prison until his next parole hearing. 

A source told The Sun: ‘He’ll be gutted. The path to release seemed on. 

‘But many will feel it’s nothing less than he deserves.’ 

Cunliffe was 16 when he fatally attacked Mr Newlove in 2007 with the help of Adam Swellings and Stephen Sorton, both 19, after the Warrington resident reprimanded the three teenagers, who were under the influence of alcohol, for vandalising cars on his street.

Mr Newlove died three days after the incident and left behind his wife, Baroness Helen Newlove along with his three children. 

The 47-year-old’s tragic death stunned the nation and became a symbol for ‘Broken Britain’.

Upon hearing about Cunliffe’s drunken celebrations ahead of what he believed would be his imminent release, Baroness Newlove said: ‘It’s absolutely disgusting.

‘How is he able to have a party in prison with alcohol? It beggars belief. 

‘Cunliffe was a huge instigator in Garry’s death. It feels like he is laughing over Garry’s body all over again.’

Source: Read Full Article

Road rage driver jailed for smashing man into lamppost after dragging girlfriend along road in Newcastle – The Sun

A ROAD rage driver who smashed a man into a lamppost after dragging his girlfriend along the road with his car is now behind bars.

Daniel Walmsley, 29, was arrested after footage of him ploughing into a man in Newcastle's Bigg Market went viral on social media in July, police said.


Video played at Newcastle Crown Court, when he was sentenced on Friday, showed a woman arguing with the driver of a black Ford Focus on a busy Saturday night.

The driver of the Focus then quickly reversed and tried to drive away from the area, dangerously throwing the woman to the floor.

The woman's boyfriend then began to remonstrate with the driver, but the vehicle instead accelerated towards him.

The boyfriend was hurled across the street and crashed against a lamppost before the driver of the Focus sped away from the scene.

The man and woman were able to walk away from the collision with no serious injuries, and when they were traced they did not want to assist with the investigation.

Northumbria Police carried out their inquiries without them, reviewing CCTV, and found evidence of an argument prior to the incident and that the woman had been pushed to the ground by the driver.

Officers identified the driver as Walmsley and he admitted causing actual bodily harm and dangerous driving in January.

The force said he was finally sentenced on Friday, where Walmsley, of no fixed abode, was jailed for two years and one month and banned from driving for five years and two months.

After the case, investigating officer Detective Constable Phil Hoggins said: "This was a very high profile incident as video footage of the assault was shared thousands of times on social media.

"It took place on a busy Saturday in Newcastle in an area of the city centre that was packed with people enjoying a night out.

"Walmsley's actions were dangerous, reckless and put the lives of innocent people who were enjoying their evening at risk.

"Using your vehicle as a weapon can have serious consequences and both victims in this case were extremely lucky not to suffer any serious injuries."




Source: Read Full Article