San Fransisco socially distances its homeless encampments amid coronavirus pandemic

San Fransisco is giving homeless encampments the social distance treatment.

The city is joining others around the world in begrudgingly authorizing its homeless encampments by marking safely distanced spaces for tents and other makeshift shelters.

In San Fransisco’s Civic Center, about 80 tents are now lined in tidy rows on a wide street near San Francisco City Hall, part of a “safe sleeping village” opened last week.

The village is one of two Mayor London Breed has planned to open, with another coming to the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood.

Breed reasoned it was better to sanction and contain the homeless rather than letting them sprawl out across the city.

“So while in normal times I would say that we should focus on bringing people inside and not sanctioning tent encampments, we frankly do not have many other options right now,” she said in a tweet last week.

Homeless advocates across the country have pushed for officials to move homeless into underused hotels. And the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends officials leave tent encampments as they are during the pandemic unless shelter in apartments or hotels could be accommodated.

As part of a state initiative, San Francisco has moved 1,300 of its estimated 8,000 homeless individuals into hotels — a strategy also being used in New York City, though it’s not without its detractors, including Mayor de Blasio.

But some San Francisco officials have accepted the sanctioned encampments as just something else to get used to during the pandemic.

”It is just a new world that we’re living in,” said San Francisco Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer, “and it’s going to have to be our new normal.”

With Post Wire services

Source: Read Full Article

Transfer rumours: Haaland, Sane, Traore, Diaby, Vertonghen

Manchester City forward Leroy Sane is not interested in a move to Premier League rivals Liverpool. The 24-year-old Germany international remains set on a move to Bayern Munich.(Bild, via Sports Illustrated)

Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Braut Haaland, 19, turned down a move to Juventus in January because the Italian champions planned to put the Norway international into their under-23 squad. (La Repubblica, via Star)

Manchester United are among the favourites to sign Wolverhampton Wanderers winger Adama Traore, joining Liverpool and Manchester City in considering a move for the 22-year-old Spaniard. (Birmingham Mail)

Messi, Owen, Drogba and a tale of two Ronaldos

Phil McNulty picks his top 10 individual displays…

Arsenal are hoping to sign Bayer Leverkusen’s France Under-21 winger Moussa Diaby. The 20-year-old former Paris St-Germain player provided two assists in Leverkusen’s win over Bundesliga rivals Werder Bremen on Monday. (Le10Sport – in French)

Chelsea are leading the race to sign Dutch centre-back Xavier Mbuyamba from Spanish giants Barcelona, according to the 18-year-old’s agent. (Voetbal International, via Mail)

Newcastle United’s on-loan England defender Danny Rose, 29, believes Mauricio Pochettino – his former manager at Tottenham Hotspur – will “eventually” end up managing Manchester United. (The Lockdown Tactics, via TeamTalk)

Several European clubs are interested in Spurs defender Jan Vertonghen, who is out of contract this summer. The 33-year-old Belgian has been offered a deal by Spanish side Real Betis, with fellow La Liga outfit Valencia, plus Italian clubs Inter Milan and Roma also considering a move. (Star)

Manchester United midfielder James Garner, 19, will be allowed to leave on loan next season, with Championship sides Cardiff City, Swansea City and Sheffield Wednesday interested in the Englishman. (Mail)

  • Tuesday’s gossip column

Source: Read Full Article