Caroline Flack breaks her silence after quitting Love Island and says she’s ‘glad it’s Laura Whitmore’ taking over job – The Sun

CAROLINE Flack has broken her silence after quitting Love Island to tell fans she's glad it's Laura Whitmore taking over.

The 40-year-old TV host admitted she's having a "really rough time" since she was charged with assault following a bust-up at her home last week.

ITV today announced that 34-year-old Laura will be taking on the coveted job when the show kicks off in South Africa on the 12th of January.

Taking to her Instagram Stories today, Caroline said: "I'm glad it's Laura… she loves the show as much as I do…

"Again… thank you for your continuous messages of support… it's a really rough time… but I'm doing all I can to keep my head above water and sort this all out…"

Earlier this week The Sun revealed that Laura had been locked in meetings with ITV and was favourite to take over the job as host from her close friend.

Caroline announced  she was standing down as Love Island host after being charged with assault.

The Irish TV host – who dates Love Island voiceover Iain Stirling –  already knows the production crew from visiting Iain on location, and bosses from her previous jobs on ITV.

Laura said: "To say I’m excited to be heading to Cape Town to host Love Island, the biggest show on television, is an understatement.

She added: "I want to thank ITV for trusting me at the helm of this huge show. I wish it was in better circumstances; Caroline is a brilliant host and also a friend. We’ve spoken a lot in the last few days since she stepped down. She has been very kind to me and strongly pushed me for this role. I’ve watched her host every series and know I have big boots to fill. I will try and do it justice.

"Above all, I am a massive fan of this show. I’ve never been to a Love Island villa, and I can’t wait to get in there to meet all the new Islanders looking for love. The Love Island team are the best in the business… including the voice and heart of the show, Iain. He thought he was getting a holiday away from me… not a chance!"

Laura will present the main show which airs nightly at 9pm on ITV2 and will also host Love Island: Aftersun, which will air on ITV2 live from London on Monday nights at 10pm.

Head of Digital Channels and Acquisitions, Paul Mortimer, said: “I’m delighted that Laura is able to step in this winter on ITV2’s biggest show. She is the best person for the job and is a popular and experienced presenter of live television. Whilst Caroline is away, we know that Love Island will be in very safe hands.“

Laura has come out on top after Maya Jama, Emily Atack and Gemma Collins were named as potential hosts by the show's fans.


Caroline and Laura have been friends for years after meeting through TV presenting roles over eight years ago.

They both hosted the I’m A Celebrity spin off show, then called I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here NOW! – with Caroline fronting the show in series 9 and 10, with Laura replacing her when Caroline got The X Factor job.

They’ve also both appeared on Strictly Come Dancing – Laura in 2016, and Caroline in 2014.

Laura also presented Survival Of The Fittest, which, like the upcoming series of Love Island, was also filmed in South Africa.


On Tuesday The Sun’s Dan Wootton revealed how Caroline had stepped down from her role on Love Island.

She told The Sun: "Love Island has been my world for the last five years, it’s the best show on telly. In order to not detract attention from the upcoming series I feel the best thing I can do is to stand down for series six.

"I want to wish the incredible team working on the show a fantastic series in Cape Town."

An ITV spokesperson suggested they would work with Caroline again in the future, saying: "ITV has a long standing relationship with Caroline and we understand and accept her decision.

"We will remain in contact with her over the coming months about future series of Love Island."


most read in tv & showbiz

great powerhouse

Spider-Man's Tom Holland splashes £3m on mansion with girlfriend Zendaya

SPLIT OPINION

Molly-Mae hires VIP lanes for bowling after backlash over bargain shopping

'trouble in paradise'

Adele's relationship 'on rocks' & 'real reason' she axed Vegas gigs

RAUNCHY LILY

Lily James defends 'essential' sex scenes in Disney+ drama Pam & Tommy

Police were called to Caroline's house in Islington, North London, where she lives with 6ft 4in partner Lewis shortly after 5am last Thursday.

Sources say tennis player and model Lewis, 27, called 999 himself after a row erupted between the pair.

He was not seriously injured, but The Sun can reveal Caroline later needed hospital treatment after accidentally cutting herself on broken glass during the incident.

Caroline has been bailed and is due to appear at Highbury Corner magistrates’ court on December 23.

Boyfriend Lewis has since defended her, describing her as "loyal and kind".

Source: Read Full Article