Conor McGregor tipped for I’m A Celebrity after shock retirement from UFC aged 31 – The Sun

CONOR McGregor has been tipped for a place on I’m A Celebrity after his shock retirement from UFC aged 31.

The fighter joins the impressive rumoured line up of including Strictly's AJ Pritchard and Manchester United's Eric Cantona for the show this winter.

The MMA legend – who leaves fighting with a record of 22 wins and four losses – posted an emotional goodbye to the sport on his Twitter account on Sunday morning.

Ladbrokes are now tipping Conor 8/1 to head out to the jungle later this year.

Jessica O’Reilly of Ladbrokes said: "McGregor would be a box office signing if ITV bosses can afford him and he swaps the octagon for the jungle."

It is not the first time the Irishman has claimed he is hanging up his gloves, and it is not known whether this will be his final farewell.

He said: "Hey guys I’ve decided to retire from fighting. Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it’s been!"

Last month The Sun Online exclusively revealed that I'm A Celebrity contestants will be forced to fly out two weeks early to quarantine before heading into the Australian jungle.

ITV bosses are determined to get the show up and running, with campmates set to be held in isolation for two weeks ahead of their debut.

It comes weeks after ITV boss Kevin Lygo revealed they are looking for an "alternative" to the jungle show if it's not possible.

However, it's hoped that foreign flights into Australia will resume by the end of the summer – allowing contestants in for November.

The Australian government has strict rules in place and arrivals from abroad must stay in a designated hotel for a fortnight to control the spread of the virus, while temperatures will also be taken on arrival.

The country has been a world leader in tackling the virus and it set to begin to ease travel restrictions in the coming months.



A showbiz agent told The Sun Online: "ITV will continue to say publicly that they are monitoring the situation, but I’ve been told by one of the team that they are cautiously optimistic that it will go ahead.

"They hope that they’ll be able to go ahead by flying in the cast and crew and quarantining them for 14 days and people signed up for the show have been told to expect a longer stay in Oz – and also a larger cheque.

"They can’t get any assurances from the Australia authorities that this will be a goer as, quite rightly, they’ve got more important issues on their plate, but the feeling is that it will happen."

They added: "There has been some talk of planning a watered-down version in another part of the world but the worry is that there wouldn’t be time team to build all the sets and the product would suffer.”

Stars who have signed up for the show have been told their money-spinning contracts will be honoured for next year if ITV is forced to cancel.

In April, The Sun confirmed bosses are determined to press on as usual with crew being told they'll be filming in Australia as scheduled.

Celebrities are also being lined up with former Manchester United footballer Eric Cantona, 53, top of the bookers’ list.

A TV source revealed: “ITV are certain lockdown will be well over by the time I’m A Celeb normally starts which is in November.

“Every year it’s a ratings smash and this year will more than likely be even bigger as the public will be desperate for some fresh and uplifting TV.

“ITV have started hiring crew as well as advertising for them Down Under.

“And bookers are still on the case with celebrities, holding meetings on the likes of Zoom.”

According to bookies, Charles Ingram, Matt Baker and AJ Pritchard are all likely to be in the line-up.

ITV had no comment when approached by The Sun Online. 

Source: Read Full Article