I’m A Celebrity rolls out extreme precautions to protect stars amid weather warnings
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
The popular ITV show returned for its 20th series on Sunday night, with Ant and Dec swapping the winter sun of Australia for the significantly cooler surroundings of North Wales. The launch proved a massive success, with over 12 million viewers tuning in during the episode’s peak. Now, it seems the show is already facing some problems as the UK weather takes its toll on the site. As well as this, a mega security team has reportedly been brought in to ensure the celebrities are sufficiently protected in the location.
Last night, viewers got to see the 10 stars for the first time as they were forced to try their hand at abseiling in the Welsh countryside before being taken to the grounds of Gwrych Castle.
It was Jordan North and Shane Richie who were told they would have to face the first Bushtucker Trial at the hands of the public vote.
Fans saw a number of notable differences, but the biggest change to the series is undoubtedly the location.
This year, the celebrities have joined Ant and Dec in the UK due to the ongoing coronavirus restrictions.
However, this in itself has provided new challenges elsewhere – the worsening Welsh weather.
With the UK forecast now taking a turn, show bosses are reportedly scrambling to make sure bad weather doesn’t have a detrimental impact on the show.
The site has been hit with continuous rain and 50mph winds, only set to worsen within the next week.
A show source explained what the team behind the hit series would be doing in order to try and keep the weather at bay.
The insider said: “We knew it could be wet, but hadn’t really planned for anything like this, the crew don’t even want to leave their cabins. It’s completely bleak and we’re having to step up our contingency plans.”
The source went on to explain how if the weather worsens, there will be somewhere off-screen celebrities will be moved to if filming becomes “impossible.”
They continued: “The first week is forecast to be absolutely bleak so it wouldn’t be surprising if they need to put some of these plans in place.
“It’s already clear the canopy over the camp is going to struggle to keep the elements out, and a lot of the trials and other parts of the show are due to be shot outside anyway, so the campmates are going to get completely soaked,” the source told The Sun.
Beverley Callard to blame for future I’m A Celeb camp rows [INSIGHT]
Myleene Klass talks famous shower scene as I’m A Celebrity kicks off [COMMENT]
Shane Richie’s ‘special signal’ to his children on I’m A Celebrity [ANALYSIS]
Elsewhere, it’s been reported just what extreme measures are being taken to secure the site which the celebrities are currently occupying.
The show has drafted in more than 40 security guards to surround the Welsh castle.
Photos obtained by Mail Online also reveal other precautions such as wire fencing and on-site wardens dressed in high-vis jackets.
Nearby roads have been closed with limited access to the public in the local area.
Express.co.uk has contacted a representative from ITV for comment in response to the reported measures.
Luckily, bosses did have a reason to celebrate as the series 20 debut drew in an average of 10.9 million, securing 51.9 percent of the audience share.
The hour-and-a-half-long episode has become the biggest non-coronavirus related programme broadcast of the year so far.
It also gained the biggest overnight audience on any channel since the Gavin & Stacey Christmas Special on BBC One last year.
I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! Continues tonight at 9pm on ITV.
Source: Read Full Article