Richard Madeley could replace Piers Morgan on GMB if June trial run goes to plan

It looks like ITV execs may have found a replacement for former GMB star Piers Morgan, as Richard Madeley is now being tipped to replace the star on the show.

The former This Morning host will join the Good Morning Britain team in June for a "trial" run, but his time may be extended if everything goes well, according to sources.

Richard, 64, has had plenty of experience presenting morning television as he previously hosted This Morning alongside his wife Judy Finnigan.

The journalist also stood in for Piers Morgan on previous episodes of Good Morning Britain.

The star is a familiar face that does well with viewers.

Richard has also reportedly admitted that he would be interested in the job if it was offered to him.

Talking to ITV an insider said: "Piers is nigh-on impossible to replace and GMB execs accept this, but Richard has his own inimitable style.

"Like Piers, he’s a trained journalist who knows how to press guests and get a decent 'line' from interviewees.

"He shoots from the hip, says what he thinks, and is a genuinely brilliant, likeable chap off air — so it’s very much a 'watch this space'."

Richard had allegedly expressed that he would be "bonkers" not to consider a job offer from TV execs at ITV, since they have been experiencing plummeting figures since Piers Morgan left the show.

While covering for Piers in 2018, the father-of-two did raise eyebrows while presenting the morning programme after he abruptly cut off then-defence secretary Gavin Williamson for "failing to answer a straight question".

Due to his previous straight-talking approach, Richard may be a perfect replacement on the show.

Piers Morgan departed from Good Morning Britain in early March following a controversial dispute regarding Meghan Markle’s views on the Royal Family.

In the explosive Oprah Winfrey interview that aired on ITV in March, the Duchess and Prince Harry explained that they often felt isolated in the family.

Meghan went even further and expressed that she never received any help when she started to experience suicidal thoughts.

After the programme had aired, outspoken Piers appeared on GMB the next day and exclaimed that he did not believe Meghan’s views on suicide.

Piers’ last episode caused indifferent views across the nation but also accumulated approximately 41,000 Ofcom complaints and an investigation.

The star then took it upon himself to exit from the show and an announcement of his departure was confirmed by ITV on March 9.

Source: Read Full Article