Gov. Cuomo is ‘concerned’ with spate of shootings in NYC
Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday said he is “very concerned” with the spike of violence that has torn through the Big Apple, calling the loss of life “horrific.”
“The state police are working on it, they’re speaking to the NYPD. My criminal justice people are going to be speaking with the mayor’s criminal justice people. I’m going to be speaking with the district attorneys, I’m going to be speaking with the chief judge today,” Cuomo said at a coronavirus briefing in Manhattan.
“I’m very concerned about it. I’m concerned about it, not just for the immediate loss of life, which is horrific,” he continued.
“And again, it’s the communities that in many ways need the most, pay the highest price,” Cuomo said, noting that many of the shootings have taken place in neighborhoods in Brooklyn and the Bronx that suffered greatly from COVID-19 and suffer “inequality across the board.”
He said the violence is “unnecessary” but “frightening” and “tragic.”
The governor said he’s worried about the spike in crime and how it will affect the city as it begins Phase Three of the reopening plan.
On top of the violence, he said, people are moving out of the city because of the coronavirus and the city’s economy is struggling because businesses haven’t fully reopened.
Adding a “public safety concern” to that “is a bad combination of events, and a bad combination of facts. So, yes, I’m very concerned.”
Between June 29 and Sunday, there were 74 shooting incidents in the city, leaving 101 victims, The Post reported Monday. That’s compared to 26 shootings during the same time last year.
At the same time, 18 people were murdered in the city — six more than the same time period last year. On Sunday, there were 30 shooting incidents with 48 victims.
In a span of three hours, seven people were shot, five fatally, in incidents in Brooklyn, the Bronx and Staten Island.
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article