Kids bored in coronavirus lockdown warned about toxic Tiktok ‘nutmeg challenge’ that causes vomiting and hallucinations – The Sun

KIDS bored during the coronavirus lockdown have been warned to steer clear of the toxic TikTok "nutmeg challenge".

Just a teaspoon of the cooking spice can "cause significant stomach pain, vomiting, racing heart, confusion, drowsiness, agitation and hallucinations," say poison experts.

One girl who filmed herself swigging 12g of nutmeg from a cup said it "didn’t taste bad".

In an update "three hours later" on its effects she claimed: "I can't move my head.

"It's like superglued to the wall; I'm so confused, oh my God."

The New South Wales Poisons Centre in Australia warned parents about kids ingesting the potentially lethal spice on TikTok and social media.

On Facebook, it described the video sharing service's nutmeg challenge as a "dangerous game".

The centre posted: "The 'challenge' has reappeared on social media and the Poisons Centre has seen a sudden influx of calls.

"Most of these calls have been regarding teenagers who have been a bit bored at home and looking for something to do.

"But we have also had calls regarding children as young as eight years."

Its experts warned that while nutmeg is a commonly used cooking spice, it's supposed to be added to food in very small amounts.

If ingested on its own, the spice can cause significant effects, and "young children are particularly vulnerable.

"Just a teaspoon can cause significant stomach pain, vomiting, racing heart, confusion, drowsiness, agitation and hallucinations.

"Store your nutmeg safely and be aware that children may try to access it," the centre advised.

On Reddit this month, via its "tiktok cringe" forum, one person warned that those scoffing the spice will suffer “delirium rather than a high.

"Worst part is you often lose forever the ability to eat nutmeg without vomiting.

"French toast and fancy steamed milk drinks just won’t be the same."

Another wrote of the challenge: "This isn't new, I heard of dumbasses' kids in my high school doing this back in the early naughtys [sic]."

Fox News warned back in 2014 that eating too much nutmeg could be dangerous, as it can lead to what feels like a drawn-out hangover, complete with nausea and dizziness.

An 18 year old student suffered palpitations, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, thirst, and a dry mouth.

Also, over-eating nutmeg can lead to heart and nervous system issues – one person required a ventilator after being poisoned with the spice.

A study published in the BMJ said there have been fatal “overdoses” of the spice.

It said that a previously well 18 year old student "presented with complaints of palpitations, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, thirst, and dry mouth.

"She was very anxious, restless, and agitated and described being 'in a trance state'.

The patient told doctors she felt “like Jack in the box wanting to get out” but did not have hallucinations, the research added.

After treatment, the student was able to return home "16 hours after ingestion".

Heavy recently carried a story about kids eating nutmeg on TikTok to try and get high.

TikTok told Heavy in a statement: “The safety and well-being of our users is a top priority at TikTok.

"As we make clear in our community guidelines, we do not allow content that encourages, promotes, or glorifies dangerous challenges that might lead to injury, and we remove reported behaviour or activity that violates our guidelines.

"To help keep our platform safe, we have introduced a slate of safety features geared towards enhancing our users’ experience, including tools for reporting inappropriate content and managing privacy settings.”



Source: Read Full Article