Louisville cops arrest ‘Breonna’s Law’ Dem politician Attica Scott for RIOTING as BLM protesters take over CHURCH

THE high-profile Democratic politician and activist behind "Breonna's Law" was arrested for rioting in Louisville as protests raged on Thursday.

The Kentucky city was rocked by a second night of furious clashes that saw a stand-off between BLM protesters and police at a church.

Representative Attica Scott was charged with first-degree rioting, failure to disperse and unlawful assembly after being rounded up into a riot van on Thursday night.

Scott's daughter along with activist Shameka Parrish-Wright were also arrested that night.

Ted Shouse, Parrish-Wright's lawyer said: "The allegations are outrageous".

Footage showed one of Scott's fellow handcuffed protesters shouted "Put up your fists for State Representative Attica Scott" as she stuck her head out from the back of the van.

Fellow demonstrators yelled back "we love you" toward the van, that was surrounded by cops.

Scott has sponsored "Breonna's Law", which is legislation that will regulate how search warrants are carried out and will mandate the use of body cameras during searches.


Police arrested at least 24 protesters, the LMPD said late Thursday.

All but one were arrested near the Louisville Free Public library.

State Rep. Josie Raymond called for the trio to be released, tweeting: "If you arrest the loudest voices fighting racial injustice in Louisville, we have to believe you want to silence the fight against racial injustice."

As a curfew went into effect after dark and police declared an unlawful assembly, a group of 200 to 300 protesters who had marched through the city for hours retreated to the grounds of the First Unitarian Church.

The church had been set aside by organizers as a sanctuary near the Ohio River waterfront.

The protesters reportedly occupied the area until roughly 11pm, when they told police they would leave the church and demonstrate on the sidewalk.

Some of the marchers had smashed windows of several local businesses, and even a hospital, along the way, according to a Reuters journalist.

Photographs show a smashed window inside one of the city's libraries caused by a flare that was thrown during the protest.

However, the scene outside the church contrasted sharply with the violence that erupted the previous night in Kentucky's largest city.

Angry demonstrations and sporadic clashes between police and protesters in the hours following the grand jury announcement turned bloody late on Wednesday when two police officers on crowd-control duty were shot and wounded.

Louisville police chief Robert Schroeder, his department reinforced by state police and Kentucky National Guard troops, said he expected protests to continue for days.

Mr Schroeder also stated that and a nighttime curfew was extended throughout the weekend.

"For all of us it is a very tense and emotional time," Schroeder told a news conference on Thursday.

Police said 127 arrests were made in the first night of protests, mostly for curfew violations or disobeying orders to disperse.

The protests began on Wednesday after the grand jury decided that none of the three white officers who collectively fired 32 gunshots as they stormed Breonna Taylor's apartment would be charged with causing her death.


One of the officers was indicted on charges of endangering Taylor's neighbors due to several stray bullets he fired entering into an adjacent apartment.

The March 13 raid was carried out as part of a narcotics investigation.

The other two officers involved in the raid were not charged at all.

Taylor, 26, a black emergency medical technician and aspiring nurse, was struck by six bullets moments after she and her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, were roused from bed in the commotion of the raid.

Walker exchanged gunfire with the police.

The grand jury decision, announced by Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron, was immediately denounced by civil rights advocates as the latest miscarriage of justice in a US law enforcement system corrupted by racial inequity.

Cameron said there was "no conclusive" evidence that any of the 10 shots fired by former Detective Brett Hankison, the officer indicted on wanton endangerment charges, ever struck Taylor.

His two colleagues, Sergeant Jonathan Mattingly and Detective Myles Cosgrove, used justified force under Kentucky law because they were returning fire – a combined total of 22 rounds – after Walker shot at them first, wounding Mattingly in the thigh, according to Cameron.

Walker has said he fired a warning shot because he feared a criminal intrusion and did not hear police identify themselves.

Officer Hankison was fired in June, while Mattingly and Cosgrove were reassigned to administrative duties.

Louisville has agreed to pay $12million to Taylor's family to settle a wrongful-death lawsuit.

Wednesday's protests turned violent around nightfall as police in riot gear ordered demonstrators to clear the streets after several fires were set in trash cans near a downtown park and outside the city's Hall of Justice.

A Reuters journalist heard several gunshots ring out, and members of the crowd scurried for cover.

An arrest report said the accused gunman, Larynzo Johnson, 26, was seen on video opening fire on police with a handgun.

Johnson was charged with two counts of assault in the first degree and 14 counts of wanton endangerment.

His first court hearing was set for Friday.

The alleged shooter was hit with the same charge as the cop indicted in the death of Taylor.

Chief Schroeder said on Thursday that the two wounded officers were expected to recover.

Police said several businesses were vandalized or looted during the night, but the demonstrations were otherwise mostly peaceful.

Protests also flared on Wednesday in New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Washington, Oakland, Philadelphia, Denver and Portland, Oregon, Seattle and Buffalo, New York.

Source: Read Full Article