Madeleine McCann suspect may NOT be charged despite German prosecutors being 'convinced he's guilty'
MADELEINE McCann prime suspect Christian B may NOT face any charges despite prosecutors being "convinced of his guilt".
Christian B was named as the prime suspect in the three-year-old toddler's disappearance during her family holiday in Praia da Luz, Portugal in 2007.
And German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters previously told The Sun they had "concrete evidence" that Madeline was dead.
He also said they had phone data that put him close to the apartment in Praia da Luz on Portugal's Algarve coast, where the three-year-old was snatched from in May 2007 and appealed for any information which might help nail him.
But now in an astonishing U-turn Mr Wolters has told a local newspaper: ''You also have to be realistic enough that the investigation may not lead to a charge for the murder of Madeleine McCann. It could be stopped if we fail to find the missing evidence."
He told the Braunschweig Zeitung: ''I am currently unable to predict the outcome of our investigation but we are still convinced of the guilt of the accused and hope for further promising investigative approaches."
German investigators say they are sifting through 400 calls they received to the country's equivalent of Crimewatch after an appeal was broadcast three weeks ago and an insider revealed much of it was of ''little use''.
Mr Wolters, who is based in Braunschweig, where the German lived and ran a kiosk, said he was ''hopeful of finding other victims, who have been sexually assaulted by the suspect'' even if it meant they could not pin a murder charge on him.
The dramatic development will bring fresh heartbreak to Maddie's parents Kate and Gerry and also highlight once again the problems of a multi national agency investigation with forces from Portugal, Germany and Britain involved.
Earlier this month Mr Wolters said dealing with Portuguese counterparts was ''cumbersome'' before adding that cops in Praia were obsessed with the outlandish theory that Kate and Gerry were involved in their daughter's abduction.
Then it emerged one of two letters informing the McCann family of the investigation had failed to arrive after being sent from Germany to Scotland Yard further adding to confusion and suggestions of disjointed handling.
Christian is currently in Kiel prison serving 21 months for drugs trafficking but is eligible for parole and could be out as early as next week if an appeal to Germany's Federal Court succeeds.
He is currently serving time in prison for drug offences.
The suspect – who is 43 now – is believed to have been leading a "transient lifestyle" at the time of Madeleine's disappearance, as he travelled between Portugal and Germany.
He had been living near Praia da Luz when Madeleine vanished from her room in May 2007.
In December he was convicted at Braunschweig court of the brutal 2005 rape of a 72-year-old American woman not far from Praia da Luz and given seven years but the sentence is not definitive as his legal team has appealed.
They are arguing Germany breached the regulations of the European Arrest Warrant used to bring him back from Italy to Braunschweig in September 2018 as it was for the drugs conviction and he was then subsequently put on trial for rape.
HIs claim is before the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg and is being fast tracked with a decision expected by July 17 which could see him cleared of the accusation or put on trial once again.
Prosecutors are fighting for him to be kept on remand and Mr Wolters said: "Of course, it is always good to know where a suspect is to be able to access them if necessary. And, of course, detention always offers a certain guarantee that the detainee will not commit any further crimes."
The fear is that if he released he will then travel to a country that has no extradition treaty with Germany and escape any possible trial.
Besides the rape conviction, he has 16 other offences including child abuse and theft.
Source: Read Full Article