Man charged in cruel NYC rape was freed in two prior assault cases this year
A Brooklyn man accused of attacking a woman so viciously that he left her in a vegetative state had been charged in two prior assaults this year — but was twice freed without bail, The Post has learned.
Frankie Harris, 38, allegedly put a 64-year-old woman in a chokehold for three minutes, pulled her to the ground and raped her May 18 in Harlem, according to Manhattan prosecutors.
But his crime spree allegedly began about three months earlier when cops busted Harris in Harlem on Feb. 6 for slapping a woman’s buttocks.
He was arraigned two days later on one count each of forcible touching and sex abuse, and Justice Gerald Lebovits set bail at $10,000 bond over $5,000 cash.
But on Feb. 11, another bail hearing was held before Justice Althea Drysdale at the request of the defense — and she ordered Harris to be freed from jail and instead participate in a supervised release program, court records show.
Less than two weeks later, cops nabbed Harris in Brooklyn after he allegedly violently attacked several strangers on the L train platforms at the Jefferson Street and Morgan Avenue stations.
Harris allegedly spit on and hit a mother, and threatened to kill her as her terrified kids, 5, and 3, watched in horror.
He then slugged a man in the face and spit on a second man, as he barked, “Puerto Rican f——t,” a complaint alleges.
He was arraigned two days later on 16 charges, including third-degree assault as a hate crime, aggravated harassment, endangering the welfare of a child, menacing and resisting arrest.
Judge Hilary Gingold released him without bail and ordered him to participate in another supervised release program. A spokesman for the Brooklyn DA’s office said none of the charges qualify for bail under the new bail reform laws.
Harris didn’t show up for his next appearances in Manhattan or Brooklyn and both courts issued bench warrants for his arrest.
Instead, he was picked up over the weekend for the brutal May 18 rape and attempted murder at E. 111th St. near Second Ave., which was captured on surveillance video, authorities said.
Prosecutors said at his arraignment Tuesday that the victim was expected to die within days.
He’s charged with attempted murder, rape and strangulation.
“Judge Gingold was clearly following the law,” said OCA spokesman Lucian Chalfen.
“Justice Drysdale was within her discretion to make that bail determination.”
Source: Read Full Article