Protester ‘who violently assaulted NYPD chief and two other cops’ is released WITHOUT bail – The Sun
A PROTESTER who allegedly punched NYPD Chief Terence Monahan on the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City on Wednesday morning has been released without bail.
Quran Campbell, 25, is accusing of striking the police chief several times in the face as he tried to arrest him on the bridge as protests broke out.
According to the New York Post, Campbell had allegedly punched another cop and Lieutenant Richard Mack which led to Monahan trying to arrest him.
During the scuffle, Campbell allegedly punched the police chief multiple times.
But the 25-year-old was granted supervised release during his arraignment for assault on Thursday.
Monahan tweeted after his release: "Quran Campbell is captured on video for the nation to witness him viciously assault 3 cops in uniform — 1 who lost consciousness."
"Judge Robert Rosenthal’s reckless decision to release Mr. Campbell WITHOUT BAIL endangers every NYer and the officers who risk it all to protect them."
Another man — identified as Banks Shaborn, 25 — was held on $10,000 bail on charges of assault and criminal possession after he also allegedly punched Mack multiple times.
Investigators said Shaborn had on him a Taser and folding knife.
Mack was sent to the hospital, where he received 12 stitches on his face after Campbell and Shaborn allegedly broke his orbital bones.
Monahan, who last month knelt in a show of solidarity with protesters, said he was fine aside from bruising and “jammed fingers.”
At least four police officers were hurt and 37 people were arrested during the protest on the bridge, which connects Manhattan and Brooklyn, on Wednesday.
Pro-police and anti-police demonstrators clashes, hours before Mayor Bill de Blasio signed into law police accountability measures inspired by the killings of George Floyd, Eric Garner, and other Black people.
The police chief on Thursday said Campbell and Shaborn were part of an “anarchist group that has been infiltrating this Black Lives [Matter] movement since the beginning.”
He told local outlet WNYW: “This is what we dealt with since the first protest after George Floyd.”
“It is a legitimate movement, but it is being hijacked by these anarchists, and they are the ones that have been attacking our police officers [and] are out hiding behind the many, many peaceful protesters that are out there.”
Surveillance video from the clashes showed a man on the bridge’s pedestrian walkway rushing toward officers and reaching over a fence to smack one of them in the head with a cane.
Police photos of the aftermath showed a lieutenant with a bloodied face, a detective holding a bandage to his head, and a bicycle officer helping a fellow officer with a head wound.
Last month, de Blasio announced funds from the NYPD's $6billion budget would be cut following days of protests.
The mayor said NYC will shift around $1billion in funding from the NYPD to youth and social services, among other sweeping changes.
The police reforms were suggested by his wife, Chirlane McCray, who co-chairs his task force on racial inclusion.
“While we have taken many steps to reform policing in this city, there is clearly more work to do to strengthen trust between officers and the New Yorkers they serve,” de Blasio said in a statement.
“These will be the first of many steps my Administration will take over the next 18 months to rebuild a fairer City that profoundly addresses injustice and disparity.”
Source: Read Full Article