Vigilantes roam streets after law student, 18, stabbed to death and mum's hand 'almost chopped off' by armed robbers

VIGILANTES are roaming the streets after a teenage law student was stabbed to death by armed robbers as he tried to defend his mother.

Hussain Chaudhry, 18, was fatally knifed as he and his family fought off a thug trying to steal a designer jacket on Wednesday evening at their house in Leyton, East London.

The law student's mum and brother suffered slash wounds to their hands in the attack just after 5pm before being discharged from hospital.

It is believed the family run a home business selling clothing and the attack was launched after a customer arranged to visit the house on Lea Bridge Road.

Hussain, a first-year student at SOAS University of London, was pronounced dead at the scene and police have launched a murder investigation.

The callous murder has sparked outrage in the community, with a Wanted posted being shared on social media by locals warning "for your own safety turn yourselves in".


One account on social media said the attackers pulled out knives and demanded stock that was in the family home "then tried to enter the house and rob".

It was claimed the brothers "started fighting back when they entered the house" and a fight "spilled back out into street".

Hussain's mum's "hand was almost chopped off" before her son was fatally stabbed, it was claimed.

One of the robbers is said to have dropped his phone as he fled the scene.

A Launch Good fundraiser for legacy projects in honour of Hussain has been set up as tributes poured in for the tragic teenager.

A friend who went to college with Hussain said today: “He was the most clean-hearted and kindest person I know.

“He would always give me advice for school work. I didn’t believe it was him when I found out on the news."

Hussain's devastated uncle Reiss Chaudhry said his nephew died trying to save his mum before he died in her arms outside their home.

Speaking on Thursday, he said: “He was just trying to protect his mum.He was a good boy and such a lovely boy.

“His mum was badly cut across her hand and his brother was hurt too and they are both still in surgery.

"He was stabbed in the neck and he died laying in his mother’s lap.”

A neighbour said the attacker was punched in the face before he grabbed the jacket from the family's home-run business.

The attacker was then reportedly seen holding a knife covered with blood and fleeing across a rooftop.

A 35-year-old man and two nurses battled in vain to save the injured teenager after he fell to the ground.

A resident, who lives on the street, said: "This is all over a designer jacket, who kills over a jacket?


"The family were selling designer jackets online and two kids turned up to rob it.

"Clearly the family in the house were trying to protect themselves. They were defending themselves but the robber pulled out a knife.

"The mother got her hand slashed and I bandaged her hand up."

The killer was seen in a cab before he ran away after stabbing Hussain, who was selling the jacket online.

The neighbour added: "I saw a kid being dragged along the back of the Uber outside, pushed into the middle of the road and beaten up.

"One of the household punched him in the face.

"He was punched a few times in the face and he ran back to the other side of the Uber and he picked up a jacket and ran off with it."

The neighbour added that the boy who was killed did not have links with gangs and was from a "good family".

School friends who laid flowers for the teenager said he was "kindhearted and bubbly."

A Waltham Forest Council of Mosques spokesman said Hussain’s family had helped build the mosque opposite the home on Lea Bridge Road.

A spokesman said: “The Ummah has lost an incredibly brave and beautiful soul in our beloved bro Hussain Chaudhry.

“His family are a blessing to our community; Hussain was no exception. He was incredibly polite, sweet, steadfast in his prayers and showed love to everyone in the most amazing of ways.”


London Mayor Sadiq Khan urged for anyone with information to come forward. “If you know who was responsible please come forward – you can report it anonymously, there is no honour in staying silent.”

SOAS University of London said in a statement it was "shocked and deeply saddened" 

No arrests have been made as cops appealed for information.

A police spokesman said: "Police were called at approximately 17:20hrs on Wednesday, 17 March to reports of a stabbing on Lea Bridge Road, near the junction with Grove Road, E17.

"Officers attended along with the London Ambulance Service. An 18-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin has been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.

"A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.

"Two other people – a man in his 20s and a woman in her 40s – were found with slash injuries to their hands.

"They were taken to an east London hospital for treatment but have since been discharged. They are both related to the deceased."

Detective Chief Inspector Perry Benton, from the Met's Specialist Crime Command, said: "A young man has lost his life in tragic circumstances and my thoughts are with his family and friends at this awful time.

"The attack happened on a busy road during rush-hour and I know there would have been lots of vehicles passing at the time of the incident.

"I would ask anybody who was driving in the area to check their dash cams and local residents to review the footage on their doorbell cameras as these could hold vital information about what happened."

Anybody with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 1570 or 101 and quote CAD5697/17MAR. Information can also be tweeted to @MetCC.

To donate to the Launch Good page set up in Hussain's memory, please visit here.

Source: Read Full Article