Why is YouTube star David Dobrik trending?
YOUTUBE star David Dobrik is known for his viral videos on the popular video-sharing platform.
Dobrik's YouTube channel, David Dobrik, has more than 18.8million subscribers.
Who is David Dobrik?
Dobrik rose to popularity on the popular video-sharing platform and is popular with Generation Z, according to Business Insider.
He first began uploading videos on video-sharing app Vine before focusing on YouTube.
The 24-year-old was born in Slovakia before his family immigrated to a Chicago suburb when he was six-years-old.
In 2013, he and some friends moved to Los Angeles and started gaining popularity from Vine videos. He started with sports highlights before doing more comedic videos.
His videos include his group of friends dubbed the Vlog Squad. The squad includes other well-known YouTube stars including Toddy Smith and Scotty Sire.
After Vine shuttered, Dobrik started his channel on YouTube. He now has two channels, David Dobrik and David Dobrik Too. Both channels combined have almost 30 million subscribers and billions of views.
He also has a YouTube channel, Views, with Jason Nash.
Why is David Dobrik trending?
In February, Dobrik and Nash were accused of sexual assault by Seth Francois, a former Vlog Squad member.
In a YouTube video posted in 2017, Francois was made to believe he was going to kiss a female Vlog Squad member while being blindfolded. He instead kissed Nash.
"I honestly didn't realize how much that situation affected me until the beginning of last year when COVID happened," Francois told BuzzFeed News.
"I remember sitting in my room in Atlanta and I was thinking to myself, That video was wrong," he said.
"I just felt like that shouldn't have happened to me."
Francois told BuzzFeed News he didn't give Nash consent to kiss him and he called a sexual assualt hotline to discuss the incident.
"They (the hotline) said it directly to me. They said, 'I'm sorry you were sexually assaulted.' And I broke down," Francois said.
"I called my mother and some of my close friends and I said, 'I can't believe that happened to me," he continued.
On Tuesday, Business Insider released a report regarding Dominykas Zeglaitis or Durte Dom, a Vlog Squad member. An anonymous accuser came forward alleging Zeglaitis sexually assaulted her in 2018.
Business Insider reached out to Zeglaitis regarding the accuser's story and he said he wanted to discuss his "own achievements" not the Vlog Squad. When the publication reached out to him again in early March he declined to comment.
The accuser, who was 20 at the time of the incident, alleged members of the Vlog Squad supplied alcohol to her and her friends, although it is unclear whether Dobrik was one such member.
The accuser and her friends went and met with the Vlog Squad to shoot a video.
On Tuesday, Dobrik posted a video responding to the allegations. His video was trending on YouTube and social media.
What did David Dobrik say?
In the video, which responds to both sets of allegations, Dobrik begins by saying making videos and making people happy is all he wants to do.
"Consent is something that's super, super important to me.
"Whether I am shooting with a friend, or I am shooting with a stranger, I make sure whatever video I am putting out I have the approval from that person," he said.
Dobrik said he has distanced himself from people he doesn't film with anymore like Dom.
"I've been really disappointed by some of my friends." he said.
He apologized directly to Francois.
"With the Seth situation, I am sorry to Seth," he said.
"I just want to make videos where everyone who is participating is enjoying and having a good time.
"I missed the mark with that one, and I am really sorry. I truly, truly am," he continued.
He concluded the video by saying, "I'm sorry if I've let you down and things like that won't happen again."
Source: Read Full Article